- Space Toolbox
- For Artists
- How ArtistsLink Can Help
- Upcoming Events
- Finding Space
- Finding a Residency
- Renting vs. Purchasing
- Leasing / Renting Space
- Purchasing Space
- Developing Space
- Building Code and Space
- Professional Help
- Safety and Health
- Open Studios
- Artist Space Reports
- Community Participation
- Other Artist Resources
- For Developers
- For Municipalities
- For Artists
Artist Space Reports & Guidebooks
Leveraging Investments in Creativity's National Artist Space Initiative has published two major reports from the Urban Institute on artist space. Artist Space Development: Financing and Artist Space Development: Making the Case, are resource-rich tools for artists as well as real estate developers, community development organizations, funders, governors, mayors, city councils and planning agencies seeking to enhance the vitality of their communities.
To download the reports directly:
ArtistLink has added a few other useful reports to this website, including (ALL REPORTS ARE ATTACHED AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE):
NEW! To watch a movie about creating artist space, see #10.
1. Creating Artist Space: A report to the Boston LINC working group. This is the report which started our initiative.
2. Developing Affordable Space for Artists This report was done for LISC and compares examples of several artist space projects
3. Strategies for Creative spaces & Spacemaking in Culture Led Regeneration These 2 reports, by the CreativeLondon/Toronto Collaborative, compares initiatives for the building of spaces for creative businesses across the world and highlight specific case studies.
4. Visit the New York State Artist Workspace Consortium website where you can find these two reports in pdf form:
A. The Artist Workspace Residency: A Guide for Artists
The 2005 guide designed to prepare artists before they embark upon an artist workspace residency.
B. The Artist Workspace Residency: A Guide for Arts Organizations
The 2005 guide designed to prepare arts organizations that want to deepen their work with artists by adding an artist workspace residency program.
5. You should also check out Ann Markusen's study on Artist Centers called
Artists’ Centers, Evolution and Impact on Careers, Neighborhoods and Economies
you can download that here.
6. LOOK! England has a National Federation of Artist's Studio Providers.
8. Denver just did a very interesting report on why creative Space Matters in their city.
10. New! Check out the artist space movie about the Brickbottom artist community and the development of its home.
11. Another essential resource is the Chicago Artists Reource's online Square Feet guide. It's an incredibly thorough guide to artist space development.
12. Be sure to also check out our pages on artist space development guidebooks.
You must have Adobe Acrobat Reader to view these files. You may download it here.
All files are attached with the expressed permission of the authors and copyright holders.
|Strategies for Creative Spaces.pdf||324.12 KB|
|Developing Affordable Space for Artists.pdf||1.07 MB|
|Creating Artist Space A Report to the Boston LINC Working Group .pdf||2.41 MB|
|Spacemaking in Culture-Led Regeneration.pdf||754.35 KB|