- Space Toolbox
- For Artists
- For Developers
- How ArtistLink Can Help
- Artist Space Developers
- Artist Space Basics
- Building a Community
- Space Development Guidebooks
- Making the Case
- Classic Development Process
- State Energy Planning Resources
- Artist Space Case Studies
- Note on Development Teams
- How to (not) spend $
- Design & Construction
- Legal & Governmental
- Financing Space
- Upon Completion
- Real Estate Taxes
- For Municipalities
Some Artist Space Web Sites to Check Out
Below is a list of a few artist space projects across the country. Be sure to also check out the Leveraging Investments in Creativity Artist Space Case Sudy Database website.
1. Midway Studios: South Boston, MA Midway Studios comprises approximately 200,000 square feet in three contiguous warehouse buildings with 89 live/work studios, located on floors two through six of Midway Studios, are designed to accommodate a broad range of working styles.
2. Surreal Estates: Unique artist live-work project built by artists, for artists, with units owned by the artists themselves in Sacramento, CA
3. OfficeOps Located in East Williamsburg, Brooklyn, They offer a range of spaces and services for both private and professional applications. Hosts an innovative artist temporary stay site.
4. The Plant The Plant is an intentional mixed-use development offering live/work, office, commercial and event space in an historic mill complex, The Plant is a place where artists converge, businesses and nonprofits thrive, neighbors gather, and the community celebrates.
5. Art Works Downtown A center for the arts in San Rapheal ,CA including a gallery, studios and artist housing.
6. Monohassat Mill Project MMP Is a development concept with a strong commitment to the surrounding community, providing a mix of subsidized and market rate units for artists.
7. The Torpedo Factory The Torpedo Factory Art Center is one of the largest and most successful visual arts centers in the U.S. It has three floors of artist studio space.
8. AS220 AS220 is a non-profit community arts center located in downtown Providence. We maintain 19 artist live/work studios, 4 galleries, a performance space, a community darkroom, The Broad Street Studio, and are in the process of renovating a new bar and café.
9. Partnership for Creative Industrial Space (PCIS) The mission of PCIS is to facilitate artistic and small business growth through real access of space in the city of Providence. We work to preserve and provide affordable and sustainable commercial space in the Industrial Commercial Buildings District.
10. RedBrick Arts Located in a renovated mill building in the heart of Beverly, Redbrick Beverly has brick walls, old wooden beams, hardwood floors, high ceilings, tons of windows and all the charm that you would expect from a 100 year old mill building.
11. 401 Richmond 401 Richmond was the former home of Macdonald Manufacturing Company, the first and finest lithographers on tinware in Canada. Located in downtown Toronto the building now houses a thriving community of 130 artists, cultural producers and entrepreneurs.
12. The Custard Factory Reclaimed in 1990, Birmingham's Custard Factory is en route to become the largest cluster of creative enterprise in Europe with a dynamic, diverse, multi cultural, self-sustaining community of 2000 artists, musicians, dot-commers, craftspeople, designers, actors, dancers, publishers, broadcasters, and others.
13. The Bruner Foundation's Rudy Bruner Awards: These awards recognize excellence in social change through physical place and highlight many successful artist space projects and strategies.
Please note that this web page links to a series of web sites which represent the work of many other artist assistance organizations and entities. In no way does ArtistLink take credit for the work of any of the organizations listed on this page.
Representation of Artist Assistance Organizations
Organizations listed on this page should contact ArtistLink immediately if their organization has been misrepresented in any way. Changes will gladly be made to the website as soon as possible.
For more on this topic see our page on policies and disclaimers.